May to September • 9 days / 8 nights • Difficulty: normal, 16+ • Comfort: ★★★☆☆ • Group size: max 8
Active tour of Lake Baikal is available as an individual tour. If you own a large number of days, we highly recommend extend your trip to Russia and visit Moscow, and St. Petersburg. At your request, our experts will help you individualize the tour to your wishes and preferences. We are happy to provide at your disposal our experience, professionalism and love for the national heritage of Russia.
We have developed the ideal travel formula, which includes eco, adventure and active tour of medium difficulty accessible to every tourist without special training.
A RICH EXPERIENCE EXPECT YOU:
- acquaintance with the freshwater seal;
- trips on high-speed boats in remote locations from the mass trails;
- overnight in the camping between the Siberian forest and the waters of Lake Baikal;
- as well as tracking light so that nothing distracts you from the fabulous views of a mighty lake;
- ethnic entertainment will be organized for you with the emphasis on the indigenous people;
- and the culmination of the tour will be an adventure rafting on the Khara-Murin River.
In the morning at the airport, you will be met by a personal guide. Then, on a comfortable minibus, you will drive to Irkutsk. If there will be free time before settling in the hotel, then we will spend it for a pleasant breakfast in one of the colourful cafes.
After you check into the hotel you will have some free time to relax after a long flight.
Today you will have a sightseeing tour in one of the seven cities of Russia, which has the status of a city with a unique historical and cultural heritage. Irkutsk is an ancient Siberian city, the oldest buildings of which date back to the 18th century. Initially, the city of Irkutsk was built in the 17th century as a winter park for important colonization and trade and trade routes connecting the European part of Russia with China, Mongolia and the Russian Far East. The city is built in a unique style – Siberian baroque and has preserved the city’s stone buildings and wooden lace houses.
You stroll through the historic centre of the city while walking you will have time to rest on the late lunch.
( – , – , – )
Today you will see Lake Baikal and Olkhon Island for the first time!
In a few hours, we will be on Baikal – there is not much that can be compared with this exciting feeling of anticipation of meeting with something truly great! On the way, we are waiting for several stops in sacred places where we will honour local spirits, feel the deep spirituality and the strongest energy of the Baikal land. Lunch for us will be organized in ethnic style among the Tazheran steppes, where you will first get acquainted with Lake Baikal. Having inhaled its air and felt a gust of wind, you will understand that you fell in love with this place. Here we will have our first meeting with the indigenous inhabitants of these places – the Buryats. They will introduce us to their culture, prepare for us a delicious traditional dish of lamb – a buncher, as well as teach to dance the cheerful dance of Yohor. After a hearty dinner, we’ll relax a bit.
Shor transfer, ferry crossing to the Olkhon Island, and here we are in the hotel. Free time for rest. After a delicious homemade dinner, we will go to the legendary Shamanka Rock, which is a visiting card of Lake Baikal, as well as a ritual place where sacrifices were made in ancient times by shamans. After that, we will go to the Sarai beach, where you will meet your first sunset on Lake Baikal.
*Accommodation at the hotel on the island of Olkhon, the village Khuzhir (tourist complex “Saraysky”)
(Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Good morning Baikal! In the morning we will go to the most northern tip of the island. The road will pass both through the forest, and through sandy beaches and dunes, where you can walk and see the pink sand. We will visit the most beautiful observation points and if nature is supportive, we will be able to see the rookery of the Baikal seal (the only freshwater seal in the world) and watch the animals in their natural habitat.
Upon arrival to the northern tip of the island – Cape Khoboy, you will be provided with a picnic at the stake, a hot smoked omul with potatoes and Siberian cold snacks.
In the evening a small walk to the centre of shamanism awaits us, where we will be told about the peculiarities of shamanism, we learn what distinguishes the black shaman from the white, why this ancient tradition originated, and also about the role it plays in modern society.
*Accommodation at the hotel on the island of Olkhon, the village Khuzhir (tourist complex “Saraysky”)
(Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
In the morning, after a hearty breakfast, we go to the pier. From the dock, we sit down the high-speed ship and go to meet the boundless blue spaces. During the water crossing, we will pass along the numerous islands of the Maloye More Strait (in English literally the Small Sea), admire the precipitous shores of Lake Baikal and closer to dinner we will arrive at the site of the first parking, where we will have lunch and a camp. Today we are not going anywhere, but this is no reason to relax! It’s time to plunge into the taiga life: together with the guide, we will leave the trail in search of firewood, fragrant herbs and berries. Upon returning to the camp, we will learn how to build a fire and brew real taiga tea.
At night, you can admire the crystal clear starry sky. Just imagine this atmosphere: a unique Baikal sky, strewn with stars, a breeze, and waves splashing about the rocks…
*Night in a comfortable camping on the shore of the Sukhaya bay
(Breakfast, Lunch (lunchbox), Dinner)
A beautiful morning in the fresh air – hot tea, golden pink sunrise and around the boundless blue smoothness of Lake Baikal.
Today our walking route will begin along the shore of Lake Baikal but do not worry, because we will go light, and things will go to the catamaran accompanying the group. Such an active rest is a pleasure; you can completely abandon your thoughts and enjoy nature. Our path will pass along the edge of the watery surface, then along the glades overgrown with dog rose, then along a forest path along a rocky cliff. Now begins a real break from civilization: for many tens of kilometres around us, there will be no one. Only we and the wild beauty of Lake Baikal.
In the evening we arrive at the second parking lot, in one of the most beautiful places of Baikal – Peschanaya Bay, which is famous for its snow-white beaches, azure water and stilted trees. This is a beautiful place, here you truly understand how wonderful and unique everything that is created by nature. We are waiting for a bonfire, a delicious dinner and a hot Russian sauna. From a hotly heated bath, we will dip directly into the invigorating water of Baikal. There is nothing better than relaxing after an active day.
*Night in a comfortable camping on the shore of the Peschanaya bay
(Breakfast, Lunch (lunchbox), Dinner)
The morning will be free; you can sunbathe, take a walk along the picturesque bays and swim.
At 12:00 boarding to the ship and transfer to the village Listvyanka, where you stay at the hotel. After settling in the hotel you will have free time.
In the evening you will visit a real Russian sauna (banya) on the territory of the hotel, stylized as an old frigate from the time of Peter the Great (the first emperor of Russia). Two spacious lounges, a shower room, a massage table, a steam room, the opportunity to plunge into the Baikal.
The banya is at the very edge of the water. The restroom on the second floor gives the impression of a full presence on a real frigate, which ploughs the waters of Lake Baikal.
*Accommodation at the hotel in the village Lisvyanka (Anastasia Hotel 4*)
(Breakfast, Lunch, – )
In the morning we will visit the museum of Lake Baikal, where we will get acquainted with many inhabitants of the lake, swimming not only in huge aquariums but also in a drop of Baikal water and discernable only under a microscope. After an interesting and informative excursion, we are waiting for the landing on a speedboat, on which we will pass along the Circum-Baikal railway. On the way, we are waiting for a number of stops to inspect the tunnels and walks by rail. This is a really interesting building, it invested incredibly much effort, thousands of people worked on the construction of this road. Trying to go through a dark tunnel, cut down in a solid rock more than a century ago – an incredible experience for the traveller. During the study of the railway, we are waiting for a delicious lunch in a cosy cafe in a fairy tale in a forest on the shore of Lake Baikal.
In the afternoon we arrive in the village of Tankhoi, here is the central estate of the Baikal Reserve – an excellent place that has preserved the virginity of nature. Then you will be transferred to Baikalsk village, accommodation at the hotel, in the evening free time.
* Extra charge (Optional): In the village of Listvyanka, there will be an opportunity for those who wish to:
- Climb on the observation deck of the Stone of Chersky on the chairlift
*Accommodation at the hotel in the village Baikalsk (Hotel Grand Baikal 3*)
(Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Early breakfast. Transfer to the river Hara-Murin. Our goal is the Langutai threshold, which is 30 minutes’ walk from the road.
On the site of the start, you will already be waiting for a small camp and a hot lunch. After lunch, briefing and departure for the rafting. Crossing to the left bank of the river, because it is there that in front of you, in its entire glory, is the threshold of the Langutai (4th category of complexity). Multiple passages of the threshold for different options. How to pass – you choose yourself. Under the left bank, in the central gate and the most extreme passage – on the right.
After everyone takes part in the rafting, you will have lunch on the river bank, rest.
In the evening – descent to the road, boarding a bus and moving to Irkutsk. Check in the hotel and free time.
In the evening, we offer to visit the restaurant “Rassolnik”, completing the tour with friends, sharing bright memories.
(Breakfast, Lunch, – )
Breakfast in the hotel. Check-out from the hotel until 12:00.
Free time. You can leave things at the reception and stroll around the city.
Transfer to the airport for check-in. Departure.
(Breakfast, – , – )
See you soon in the heart of Siberia!
|Departure||4 persons||6 persons||8 persons||Details|
|1.flexible departure date||3130$||2590$||2050$|
- Children 12-16 year – 10% discount
- If you travel in a group of fewer than 4 people or more than 8 people, then ask the price from our expert.
• Transfer to/from the hotel
|Price does not include|
• Tickets to/from Irkutsk
- Rent of sleeping bags and camping mat: 5$ / per person / day
- Rent of wetsuits: 45$ / per person
- Diving in the village of Listvyanka
- Climb on the observation deck of the Stone of Chersky on the chairlift: 6$ / per person
• When reserving a tour, 30% payment upfront is required
• When canceling a tour reservation for 45 days and later, 100% of the payment is deducted
Day 1, 8 • Hotels in the city center of Irkutsk. Hotel Kupechesky Dvor 3* (standard room, twin/double)
Day 2, 3 • Hotel on the island of Olkhon, the village of Khuzhir. Tourist complex Saraysky (standard room, twin/double)
Day 4 • Night in a comfortable camping on the shore of the Sukhaya bay (twin/double)
Day 5 • Night in a comfortable camping on the shore of the Peschanaya bay (twin/double)
Day 6 • Hotel in Listvyanka village. Hotel Anastasia 4* (standard room, twin/double)
Day 7 • Hotel in the village Baikalsk. Hotel Grand Baikal 3* (standard room, twin/double)
- If on the dates indicated there are no rooms in the declared hotels, then the hotels can be changed to a similar category or higher.
- For an individual tour, you have the opportunity to improve the living conditions; if necessary, leave a comment in your request.
Hotel Kupechesky Dvor 3* is located in the historical center of Irkutsk, near the Angara River. A 5-10 minute walk from the hotel there are cafes, bars and restaurants. The building of the hotel is a unique historical reconstruction of the traditional Siberian farm. Free Wi-Fi and free parking are provided.
Modern rooms are equipped with a smart flat-screen TV with cable channels and internet access. The private bathroom includes a hairdryer and free toiletries. Slippers and bathrobes are provided. All rooms are soundproofed.
Capacity: 14 rooms
Location: Historic City Center
Address: Irkutsk, str. Sedova, Building 10
Sarajsky Tourist Complex on Olkhon Island with independent comfortable log houses located at a considerable distance from each other, which will allow you to maintain your peace and seclusion, and a large enclosed area with relic pine trees and a panoramic café overlooking the lake will give you a sense of the whole energy of Lake Baikal.
The beach can be reached in just 4 minutes. On the territory of the tourist complex is a sauna, accessories for barbecue. The windows overlook the mountains and the lake. Amenities include a terrace and a restaurant.
All rooms are equipped with a flat-screen TV. The private bathroom includes a shower. Slippers and free toiletries are provided. Free Wi-Fi is available on site and free private parking is available.
Capacity: 14 cabins
Location: On the shore of the Saray Bay, Lake Baikal
Address: Olkhon Island, Khuzhir Village, st. Sarayskaya, 5
The hotel complex Anastasia 4* is located on the shore of Lake Baikal. It offers an outdoor pool and free WiFi throughout.
The cozy rooms of the hotel “Anastasia” are furnished with Italian oak furniture. All rooms have cable TV and a private bathroom. Some rooms have a balcony.
In the mornings, the hotel “Anastasia” serves a continental breakfast, and the restaurant windows offer a view of Lake Baikal.
Anastasia Hotel is located in Nicholas, just 5.1 km from Listvyanka. The hotel has a seasonal outdoor pool and views of the lake. Guests can enjoy their meals in the restaurant. Free private parking is possible on site.
Capacity: 26 rooms
Location: On the shore of Lake Baikal
Address: Irkutsk district, Nikola, Str. Angarskaya, 8
Grand Baikal Hotel 3* is located at the foot of Sobolinoy Mountain, right on the territory of the Baikal ski resort and 800 meters from Lake Baikal. Amenities include a work desk, a flat-screen TV and a wardrobe. All rooms have a private bathroom. For your convenience, you will find slippers, free toiletries and a hairdryer.
A buffet breakfast is served daily. The restaurant offers European cuisine.
Guests can play billiards. The surrounding area is popular among lovers of skiing.
Capacity: 64 rooms
Location: On the shore of Lake Baikal
Address: Irkutsk region, Baikalsk, Str. Complicated track
Transport included in package tours of Lake Baikal complies with international standards and is annually certified. In order to make your impressions of the rest complete we use the best transport available on Lake Baikal. In the absence of the declared transport, it will be replaced by a similar one or a level higher.
- Up to 10 people – FIAT DUCATO
- Up to 8 people – TOYOTA HIACE
- For 4 people – NISSAN SERENA
IN LAKE BAIKAL
- Up to 8 people – MITSUBISHI DELICA
- Up to 10 people – YAMAHA FR 27
The motor yacht “Sagan” was built and launched in 2004.
The length of the yacht is 26.5 meters,
The width is 4 meters,
The precipitation is -1.3 meters.
Cruising speed 18 km per hour.
The range of autonomous navigation of the yacht is 1600 km.
The yacht is equipped with:
- modern navigation system
- satellite communication
- an essential set of life-saving appliances
The power plant of the yacht is perfectly balanced and provides a quiet ride. A small draft of the vessel makes it possible to approach unhindered practically to any shore of the lake. The dimensions and parameters of the yacht are given in the complex by a vessel that is best suited for a long journey through the water area of Lake Baikal with maximum comfort.
Number of passenger seats – 10
Crew (3 people):
For recreation on board the yacht is located:
- a spacious wardroom, complete with an audio-video system,
- VIP cabin with private bathroom,
- two double cabins,
- one four-person cabin,
- three bathrooms with hot water,
- a real wood-burning sauna with access to the bathing platform,
- in the stern there is a place for outdoor recreation with a large table and benches. The crew cabin has a separate entrance from the guest cabins,
- for active recreation on board there are all kinds of gear for fishing and a boat with outboard motor. For the delicious preparation of the caught fish there is a brazier and smokehouse.
Number of participants in a group – from 2 to 10 people (more participants are possible by prior agreement). The tour is possible in English, French, other languages on request. Tourists from various countries took part in this tour, such as Holland, Great Britain, Israel, Japan, Italy, Spain, Germany, France, the USA, China, Switzerland, New Zealand, Danemark, Turkey, Finland, Norway etc. For individual programs, the optimal booking time is 3-4 months before the start of the tour. In summer, a lot of tourists come to Baikal, so it’s better to take care of the rest in advance. In this case, you will get the best hotels, the best guides, the best programs. However, if the opportunity to go on vacation arose spontaneously, then, in this case, we will try to organize a tour for you within 24 hours.
Participation in the tour is not recommended for children under 12 years of age, and spending the night in tents and daytime tracking is 10-15 km per day. But the parents reserve the right of final decision. If you think that your child is emotionally and physically ready for this trip, we will not mind.
In most of our tours around Lake Baikal, we have prepared a rich and active program. Going on a trip, you must really appreciate your health and your abilities. We do not conduct a medical examination and do not require the provision of medical certificates. Your health is your responsibility. We expect that you will consciously solve this problem.
Throughout the route, the guide follows the health status of each participant. If you get sick, the management will provide first aid. The manual contains a large first aid kit with medicines. In case of emergency, we organize professional medical care.
Baikal is rare, but you can encounter ticks. You can meet with them on active tours, from the beginning of May to July. Vaccination against tick-borne encephalitis should begin 45 days before travel. It includes 2 inoculations that teach the immune system to identify the virus and fight it. However, if you did not manage to get vaccinated, then there is nothing to worry about. All our tourists on the routes are treated with special aerosols and have insurance.
HOW TO GET
The tour starts in Irkutsk
One of the main transport hubs in Siberia is Irkutsk. It is passed through by the Trans-Siberian Railway, so it provides tourists with opportunities to travel actively. Irkutsk posses the airport both of local and international level and well-developed road vehicle infrastructure.
Information about railways to Irkutsk can be inquired at managers of Black Russian Tours.
The international airport in Irkutsk accepts planes from Moscow, St. Petersburg. Petersburg, Norilsk, Novosibirsk, Yekaterinburg, Vladivostok, Kamchatka and many other cities in Russia, also from international flights from Beijing and Bangkok. You can reach Krasnoyarsk by flights of the following airlines: Aeroflot, S7, UTair, NordStar etc.
The waters of Lake Baikal affect the climate of the coastal area. Winter here is softer, and summer is cool. The onset of spring on Lake Baikal is delayed by 10-15 days compared to the adjacent city of Irkutsk, and autumn is often quite long. The consequence of the fact that Baikal is located at almost half a kilometre height is the high intensity of solar radiation. Burn here can be completely unnoticed in an hour or two, and radically and irrevocably. Do not forget about this. It is also worth taking into account, a significant difference in day-night temperatures and possible winds, in which even in summer you want to wrap yourself up warmer.
Baikal is beautiful at any time of the year and every season has its advantages, therefore the choice depends only on what month it seems to be the best in your opinion.
- Summer. In June, a little cool in the afternoon on average +15 +20 °C, at night +3 +8 °C. The period from mid-July to mid-August is considered a velvety season on Lake Baikal. At this time, the warmest weather is set, at daytime +22 + 28 °C, at night +15 +18 °C, the water warms up to +24 °C (you can swim and sunbathe). After the second half of August, the heat begins to gradually subside.
- Autumn. Until mid-September, Indian Summer may last and the average daily temperature is +20 °C, but at night it is already substantially cooler around +5 °C. In the second half of the month autumn begins sharply, and the daytime temperature drops to about + 10 °C, the night can go below 0 °C. This time is for romantics who value peace and solitude. In addition, nature blossoms with colours – a good time for photography. In October and November the temperature decreases and varies around 0 °C, at night the average is -10 °C., Closer to winter temperatures: during the day -10 °C, at night to -20 °C.
- Winter. In December, it starts to grow light at nine o’clock and after 5 pm it quickly darkens. In severe frosts, the atmosphere is filled with a dense fog, through which the sky is barely visible. The temperature ranges from -15 °C to -25 °C at night. Until mid-January, Baikal does not freeze, the water soars, hiding in the fog the opposite shore. From the middle of February begins to gradually warm up and the flight is firmly standing until the end of March.
- Spring. In the beginning of spring the ice still binds the lake well, but in the afternoon the air warms up a little and varies on average around 0 °C, thereby creating comfortable conditions for lovers of active winter recreation. Starting from the second half of April, the spring is gaining strength and by the end of May it’s already quite warm +15 +17 °C, around the land is covered with fresh greens, and nature blooms.
FOR ALL TOURS
- Backpack. A backpack is needed not only for walking tours and climbing. It is convenient and mobile to transport your belongings from home to the airport, from the airport to the bus, from the bus to the hotel, etc. For the planned trip you will have enough to have a backpack in the volume of 60-90 litres. Also, we draw your attention that it is necessary to have an additional backpack of smaller volume for the foot part of the route. This will increase the comfort of your trip. The recommended volume is 35-50 litres.
- Pillow and sleeping bag. The Pillow should be light, soft and do not skip moisture and cold. The sleeping bag is selected according to temperature and filler material. For summer tours to Baikal sleeping bags with synthetic fillers, with a comfort temperature of 0- minus 5 degrees (women can take a sleeping bag warmer) are suitable.
- Warming. The jacket and pants from Polartec are warm, light and quick-drying material. By the Baikal evenings, you will be very comfortable in clothes made of such fabric.
- Sunscreen (protection factor not less than 20)
- Sunglasses (with protection from UV rays at least 2)
- Headlamp (and spare batteries)
- Personal first-aid kit (if you have any specific diseases)
- Means of personal hygiene
- Bathing accessories (both summer and winter)
Addition to SUMMER TOURS
- Waterproof and windproof clothing. First of all, these are trousers and a jacket. Both things must close the waist, ideally, contain membrane tissues (which allow clothes not to get wet and at the same time “breathe”).
- Be sure to cover the rain that will cover both you and your backpack.
- Footwear for tracking and rock climbing. Replacement shoes, it is advisable to take light trekking sneakers or sandals. Rock climbing shoes are suitable for climbing shoes or sneakers (preferably with a rubberized toe).
- Shoes for alloy. Suitable hydropower or waterproof shoes, as you can use rubber boots in cold weather and sandals for warm weather.
- Individual tourist seat
In addition to the above equipment:
- Cap or bandana
- Lightweight sports hat
- Trekking socks
- Repellents from mosquitoes and ticks (it is better to buy in Irkutsk, because they may not
- miss on the plane)
- Small hermetic bags for documents
- Neoprene or sports gloves
- Downy vests or thin puffs (for those who go on tour in early September)
Addition to WINTER TOURS
- Footwear. First of all, shoes must be warm and waterproof. Suitable warm trekking boots, warm boots.
- Outerwear. The jacket and trousers should be comfortable, warm, should “breathe” and be light. Ideally, a warm suit and ski suit.
- Hat and mittens. Caps are better to take synthetic with not purged membranes 2-3 sets, they can tear, get wet, etc. Gloves should be taken from synthetic fabrics. Gloves from fleece or Polartec and leggings from waterproof materials. In stock, you can take and woollen mittens.
- Thermal underwear. For spring tours we recommend a light thermal underwear made of fleece or Polartec.
- Warm thermosetting or woollen socks 3 pairs.