The World Cup is the most anticipated sporting event of 2018. The dates of the championship have already been determined. The last stage will take place from June 14 to July 15, 2018. June 14 in Luzhniki will host the first match, in which by the right of the hostess will participate in the Russian national team. The last match will also take place in Luzhniki on July 15th.
– ★ –
- The last part of the World Cup will take place from June 14 to July 15, 2018. Among the 208 teams that participated in the qualifying games, there were the best – 32 teams.
- All teams that have reached the final stage are divided into eight groups. There are four teams in each group. In the group stage, each team plays a match with each rival of the group. A total of six matches are played in each group, or 48 matches in eight groups.
- As a result, half of the participants are eliminated, and on June 30, the remaining 16 teams are transferred to the playoffs and start the games in the 1/8 finals. This stage lasts four days. The final matches will take place on July 3 in Moscow and St. Petersburg.
- The winners of eight matches will meet in the quarterfinals. Two winners of the quarter-finals will meet on July 10 in St. Petersburg. Two others – the eleventh of July in Moscow.
- July 14 in St. Petersburg will be a match for third place in the championship. Here, there are teams who lost in the semi-finals.
The final of the 2018 World Cup will take place on July 15 in Moscow, at the stadium “Luzhniki”.
– ★ –
THE PARTICIPANTS OF THE 2018 WORLD CUP
According to the results of the qualifying matches, all the participants of the last leg of the championship have been determined. Russia, as a host country, reached the group stage earlier than planned, in December 2010.
For the first time in the history of the Championships, applications for participation have been submitted by all FIFA members – 208 teams, not counting the Russian national team. The national teams of Bhutan, Gibraltar, South Sudan and Kosovo have for the first time participated in qualifying matches, but were unable to reach the finals.
At the 2018 World Cup, seven of the eight teams that had previously become world champions will participate. The only team that will not participate in the finals is Italy, four-time world champion, multiple finalist and semi-finalist. The team will not participate in the championship for the first time since 1958. The reason – a sensational defeat in two play-offs with the Swedes: the only goal in two games was scored by Carl Johansson after the rebound.
For the first time in their history before the group stage, the national teams from Iceland and Panama arrived. The Icelanders excelled in the European Championship in 2016, defeated the British and reached the quarter-finals. The Panamanians have been trying to qualify since 1978. The day that arrived on October 11, 2017, the president of the country declared a national holiday.
– ★ –
2018 WORLD CUP GROUP
On 1 December, the official draw for the World Cup was held at the Kremlin Palace. Even now, you can bet on the matches of the group stage. Some conclusions about team odds can be made from the group table.
– ★ –
CHANCES OF TEAMS QUALIFYING NEXT ROUND
A little distraction to analyze the situation. It is already possible to draw conclusions: who is more likely to leave the group, who has less, who does not. In any case, in sport, there is always a place for sensations, and the same Icelanders could reach the quarterfinals of the World Cup. At this moment, the situation is as follows.
Group A. The first place in the group is the Russian team – by the law of the host country of the championship. In addition to the Russians, the group includes the national teams of Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Uruguay. Uruguayan team – one of the most successful teams in the world. Several decades ago, the Uruguayans won twice the title of champion, in the past, the World Cup reached the final 1/8. The Egyptians have passed qualifying for the first time since 1990. The Saudi national team has been selected for the World Cup in 1998, 2002 and 2006, lost seven of the nine matches of the World Cup, two reduced games in one draw. The Russian team will hold the first match with the Saudis.
In Group B, there were Portuguese and Spanish. The match between the old rivals promises to be one of the most interesting of the group stage. In addition, the group included teams from Morocco and Iran. The Iranians have never left the group. The Moroccans qualified for the first time since 1998, and the group only came out once – in 1986.
The French, champions of 1998, were in the Group C. The rivals of the former champions will be Australia, Peru and Denmark. The three teams assured their participation in the championship during the play-offs. They can hardly be named serious rivals for the French.
The Argentina team, two-time world champion and one of the best teams in the world, settled in the Group D. At first glance, nothing complicated: among the rivals – the newcomer of the world championship Iceland, national teams from Croatia and Nigeria. The Icelanders made their debut in international competitions for the Euro-2016, and in the first tournament reached the quarter-finals. Nigerians in the 2014 World Cup reached the 1/8 final. The biggest success of the Croatians – third place at the 1998 World Cup, after, the team never left the group.
A long Argentinian rival, the Brazilian national team, entered the Group E. In addition to her, the group included teams from Switzerland, Costa Rica and Serbia. Costa Rica’s national team has competed four times at the world championships. The last achievement is the quarterfinal of the last tournament. The Swiss in the last three leagues twice left the group, but did not go past the 1/8 finals. The Serbs of modern history never left the group.
The leader of the Group F is the current world champion, the German national team. Among the rivals of the team on the group – Mexico, Sweden, Korea. Each team is interesting in its own way, but it is unlikely that they can compete seriously with the Germans. The Swedes were able to qualify for the championship for the first time in 12 years, beating in the four-time play-off champion, the Italian team. However, at Euro 2016, the team did not leave the group, scoring a point and not scoring a single goal. Mexicans are a steady participant in the playoffs. In the last six leagues, the team overcomes the group stage and loses in the 1/8 finals.
In Group G – Belgium, Panama, Tunisia, England. The leader of the group is the Belgians: for the moment, the team takes the fifth place in the rating of FIFA, and in Euro-2016 reached the quarter-finals with confidence. The competition could be made by the England team: 15th place in the FIFA classification. After a sensational loss to the Icelanders in the round of 16 of the Euro-2016, the English team lost two friendlies against the Germans and the French, won eight matches in the qualifying round, and reduced another five in a match no. The Panamanians participate for the first time in the championship. The team is ranked 58th in the FIFA rankings and is unlikely to leave the group. Tunisia – 34 places in the FIFA scoring. In their history, the “Eagles of Carthage” never left the group.
Group H included the national teams from Poland, Senegal, Colombia and Japan. There is no clear leader in the group. Colombians are the quarter-finalists of the last championship. The Poles have qualified for the first time since 2006, but in Euro-2016, they reached the quarter-finals and lost to the Portuguese. The Senegalese reached the quarter-finals in 2002 – this was the only national team’s participation in the World Cup. In 2017, the team posted good results: for the first time since 2006, the Senegalese reached the quarter-finals of the African Cup of Nations. Four-time winner of the Asian Cup, the Japan team, in recent years does not show the best match. Thus, in the last five games, the team was able to win one game, a draw and lost three.
– ★ –
WHO WILL WIN THE 2018 WORLD CUP: THE CHANCES OF THE NATIONAL TEAMS
In the world championship in Russia, there are 32 teams that have passed a difficult qualifying phase. All teams are in the top 100 of FIFA. The Russian team, as host of the championship, is in a privileged position: it has directly participated in the group stage, without conducting qualifying matches, will play on its sites and will benefit from the support of the stands. But Russia is not the main competitor for the victory. We will analyze the chances of the best teams, for those who like to make long-term bets.
1. GERMANY TEAM. One of the most likely candidates to win the championship. The team has four world championships “gold”, four “silver” and four “bronze”, three European championships “gold” and the Confederations Cup, won by the German team in 2017. To date, the German national team is the only one to have won awards in four consecutive world championships: before the 2014 World Cup gold medal, the 2010 and 2006 bronze medals, as well as the 2002 silver medal. From now on, the Germans occupy first place in the prestigious international ratings of FIFA and UEFA. Since 2006, the coach of the team is Joachim Loew. If the second consecutive “gold” of the Germans is in question, then at least one outcome of the group is guaranteed. Put on a group exit and win a victory in the championship it is possible on the factor 6.0.
2. THE NATIONAL TEAM OF SPAIN. Second place is UEFA’s ranking, the eighth is FIFA. The team is the 2010 world champion and the repeat champion of Europe.Interestingly, after the “gold medal” at the 2010 World Cup, at the 2014 World Cup, the Spaniards could not even leave the group, losing against the Netherlands and Scotland. After that, the team completely revised the strategy and a number of changes in the composition. Betting on the group team’s exit and putting the win at the championship can be on a coefficient of 9.0.
3. THE ENGLAND TEAM – another former champion with a good chance at least to leave the group. After Iceland’s national team lost last year, England coach Roy Hodgson resigned. Today, the team’s head coach is Gareth Southgate. With him, the team played 16 games, won eight wins, six games brought a draw and two lost. To place a bet on the exit of the team of the group and to put the victory in the championship is possible by the coefficient 11.0.
4. THE FRANCE TEAM has good chances for a high place. In 1998, the team for the first time in its history received the “gold” of the world, in 2006 – reached the final and got “money”. Losing last year in the European Championship at home, the French are preparing to win the world championship in Russia. You can bet on the victory of the French in the championship by the coefficient of 9.0.
5. Another team with a good chance of winning in the championship – ARGENTINA, a longtime football opponent of Brazil, Germany and England. The team is one of three leaders of FIFA and UEFA, one of three teams (with Brazilians and French), who have won all the FIFA World Cup ™ championships, Olympic Games and the Confederations Cup. Last season, the Argentine team reached the final and took second place, losing to Germany. Maybe this time Messi will be lucky. To make a bet on the exit of the group and put on the victory of the Argentineans in the Championship can be on the coefficient of 9.50.
6. THE BRAZILIAN NATIONAL TEAM is one of the most interesting teams participating in the 2018 World Cup. Among other things, it is the only team that has participated in all the world championships. And won five league titles, the latest of which was in 2002. In the home league in 2014, Brazil reached the semifinals and finished fourth, losing to the Germans with a score of 1: 7. The Team coach since 2016 is Titus, and it is under his leadership that the Brazilian team became the first team to qualify for the 2018 World Cup. You can bet on the group’s exit and put on the victory per team in the championship by the coefficient of 7.0.
7. THE RUSSIAN NATIONAL TEAM. This tournament has already become a record and unusual, and the Russian team has a good chance of overcoming the group stage. Even despite the 65th place anti-record of the FIFA rankings. To evaluate what the team is capable of at this stage, it is worthwhile to evaluate the last friendly matches that take place in the stadiums hosting the World Cup and with the future rivals of the World Cup.In the last four games, the Russians have lost to the Argentineans with a score of 0: 1, played matches with the Iranian and Spanish national teams and won against the Koreans. In the Confederations Cup at home in 2017, the team took third place in the group, winning New Zealanders with a score of 2: 0 and losing against the Portuguese (0: 1) and the Mexicans (2: 1). Bookmakers evaluate the chances of the Russian team is not high. You can bet on the exit of the group and the victory of the team in the Championship is possible by the coefficient of 40.0.
– ★ –
WORLD CUP STATISTICS
- Throughout history, eight countries have become world champions. Brazil is the leader in the number of titles: the team is five times world champion. Teams from Italy and Germany took “gold” four times. The combined teams of Argentina and Uruguay are two-time world champions. In England, France and Spain – a victory.
- Of the eight national champions of the 2018 World Cup, seven are taking part: The Italian team has not qualified.
- In the current format, the championship has been held since 1998. It was in the French tournament for the first time that eight groups of four teams participated. Previously, the number of participating teams did not exceed 24.
- A total of 207 teams participated in the world championships. Among them, the top four lost 24 teams, including the USSR national team in 1966. Of them participated in the final – 12.
- In 16 championships, the winning country belonged to the continent where the world championship was held. In five tournaments, the victory went to the hostess. England, Argentina, Italy, Uruguay and France won the first home league titles.
- At the moment, only two teams have been able to defend the championship title – Italy in 1938 and Brazil in 1962. This can be seen as an opportunity to reconsider Germany’s chances. However, the team is leading the number of semi-finals.
- Most often in the final of the World Cup against the Germans and Argentines. They played three “gold” between them. Argentina won in 1986, Germany in 1990 and 2014.
– ★ –
CITIES AND STADIUMS HOSTING THE 2018 FIFA WORLD CUP
For the first time in history, the World Cup will be organized by Russia. For the first time in history, the world is held in Eastern Europe. And for the first time in history – on the territory of two parts of the world – Europe and Asia.
According to the plan, the championship will be held in 12 stadiums in 11 cities in different parts of the country. Let us examine them in more detail.
1 The opening match and the championship final will take place at the Luzhniki stadium in Moscow. One of the semifinal matches will be here. The stadium is part of the Olympic complex “Luzhniki” and is the most spacious sports complex in Russia. Watch the game can 81 thousand spectators. November 11, 2017 the stadium was opened after a long reconstruction and preparation for the championship. In the first friendly match, the Russian team lost against the Argentines.
2 The second most important stadium is St. Petersburg, which was built from 2007 to 2016. The projected capacity for the 2018 World Cup is over 68 thousand people. The stadium was put into operation in December 2016, and in 2017 there were Confederations Cup 2017 games.
3 The third stadium is Kazan-Arena, located in Kazan. The stadium is open on June 14, 2013 and is currently the club arena “Rubin”. Since 2013, individual competitions have been held at the 2013 Summer Universiade and the FINA World Championships. “Kazan Arena” is the only football stadium in the world where 12 world swimming records are set.
4 The fourth stadium is located in Yekaterinburg, and at the time of the 2018 World Cup is called the “Ekaterinburg Arena”. The stadium capacity for the Championship is 35,000 places, some of which are located on the foldable stands. In the group stage of the 2018 World Cup, there will be four matches.
5 The fifth stage is “the opening of the arena”. The stadium is located in Moscow and is the home stadium of the football club “Spartak”. In the context of international tournaments, he will have a neutral title “Spartak Stadium”. The stadium capacity is over 45 thousand people.
6 The sixth stage is Fisht, the main stadium of Sochi. Here, the Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the 2014 Winter Olympic Games were held. The stadium is designed for 44,000 spectators for the 2018 World Cup football matches.
Some new stadiums were put into service at the end of 2017:
7 “Mordovia Arena”, the city of Saransk. At the moment of the capacity of the World Cup stadium of 45,000 seats, at the end of the foldable tiered championship are dismantled and the capacity more – 30 thousand places. At the moment the first mowing the lawn took place at the stadium.
8 “Samara Arena”, the city of Samara. Four group matches as well as individual matches of 1/8 finals and quarterfinals will be held here. The test match at the stadium is scheduled for April 2018.
9 “Rostov Arena”, the city of Rostov-On-Don. Expected capacity – 45 thousand places. At this time, construction and finishing work is nearing completion and adjacent land use planning is underway.
10 “Kaliningrad Stadium”, Kaliningrad. The construction of the stadium began in 2015, the commissioning – until the end of 2017. This is one of the most compact and practical stadiums in the World Cup, with a total capacity of around 35,000 places.
11 “Nizhny Novgorod” Stadium, the city of Nizhny Novgorod. According to the plan, the construction and installation works are being completed in December 2017. The planned capacity is 45 thousand places, including 902 places for disabled and accompanying persons. As part of the 2018 World Cup and will host four group matches, a 1/8 game and a quarter-final.
12 Volgograd Arena, Volgograd. There will be four matches of the group stage in the future, according to the plan, the stadium will be used as home arena team “Rotor Volgograd”.
– ★ –
Russian hospitality: individual and group trophy tours for fans
- FIFA 2018 World Cup tour semifinal & final
- FIFA 2018 World Cup tour round of 16
- FIFA 2018 World Cup tour first stage
- FIFA 2018 World Cup tour in Moscow
- FIFA 2018 World Cup tour in St. Petersburg
- FIFA 2018 World Cup tour in Sochi
- FIFA 2018 World Cup tour in Volgograd
- FIFA 2018 World Cup tour in Saransk
- FIFA 2018 World Cup tour in Samara
- FIFA 2018 World Cup tour in Rostov-on-Don
- FIFA 2018 World Cup tour in Nizhny Novgorod
- FIFA 2018 World Cup tour in Kazan
- FIFA 2018 World Cup tour in Kaliningrad
- FIFA 2018 World Cup tour in Ekaterinburg