Federal district: Siberian • Irkutsk – administrative center of Irkutsk Region • Population: 623, 736 inhabitants
Irkutsk is an ancient Siberian city, the oldest buildings of which date back to the 18th century and built in a unique style – Siberian or Irkutsk Baroque. The city has preserved the city’s stone buildings and monuments of wooden architecture.
On the map of Siberia, Irkutsk, like most Siberian cities, appeared in the middle of the 17th century and was founded as a winter residence at the mouth of the Irkut River. Being located on the important colonization and trade routes connecting the European part of Russia with China, Mongolia and the Russian Far East, Irkutsk developed rapidly and grew.
Today Irkutsk is among the largest regions of the Russian Federation and has the status of one of seven cities with a unique historical and cultural heritage.
We have collected for you some interesting facts about the city of Irkutsk:
- The earliest traces of human presence on the territory of Irkutsk date back to the age of about 50 thousand years.
- Local residents of Irkutsk have a proverb: “If you have not been to Irkutsk, you have not seen Russia.”
- Before the 1917 revolution, Irkutsk was often called “Siberian Athens”, “Eastern Paris” and “Petersburg of Siberia”.
- You can see the beginning of the Angara River, which is the only one of all Baikal rivers flowing out of Lake Baikal. Irkutsk is located directly on the Angara. In Irkutsk this river has such a powerful and full flow that it seems that this is a huge river, like the Nile or Mississippi. No wonder it is called in the people of the northern Amazon.
- If you look at the modern map of the Russian Federation, then on the line connecting the distance from St. Petersburg to the Kuril Islands, Irkutsk is located almost in the middle between these points – hence, we can assume that Irkutsk is the unspoken center of Russia, at least geographically.
- By Siberian standards, Irkutsk is a huge city, its population is about 600 thousand people. Therefore, this is far from being a province!
- Irkutsk is one of the oldest cities in Siberia. At the same time, it is one of those cities that preserved in their primordial form ancient monuments of architecture and architecture, which are carefully guarded and protected here. One of the main attractions is the miracle of nature Lake Baikal.
- Krasnoyarsk region
- Republic of Khakassia
- Republic of Tuva